An extra bonus episode for one of the greatest Star Trek movies of all time (definitely for those of us who have only seen the one so far!), Wrath of Khan. We’ll begin The Next Generation saga in the new year. In the meantime, Andy and Jessica will talk Khan, getting old and how we clearly need to watch more Star Trek movies than the two bonus ones on this list.
The Animated Series
Let's talk Spoilers
Not much except the actual episodes. These two are short and sweet and easy to follow.
Let's Talk Episode
In this cartoon filled episode of Star Trek, Andy and Jessica go over both Yesteryear:
- The time travel doesn't really make sense, but oh well
- End of life discussions for both kids and adults
- Spock's advice to his younger self, and what Andy and Jessica would tell themselves as kids
- Spock's replacement (Thalen) - does he give up too easily?
and The Lorelei Signal:
- The Enterprise is stupid and the men in this episode are stupid... in Jessica's opinion
- Redskirts--Uhura's awesome but still has to wait for permission from the men in charge
- Sexism and woman empowerment in Andy's life
4 of 5 heroic sehlats
The Lorelei Signal
2 of 5 life-draining headbands
Let's talk Trek
- What people find offensive changes: LGBTQIA and how Star Trek misses the mark with Lorelei Signal
- Today's disconnected society needs Star Trek
All of the Animated Series! It's just easy. Sit down and binge to your heart's content.
Bonus Episodes! We're going to be watching the Wrath of Khan. After that, another bonus movie, The Undiscovered Country.
Alright, this is just Andy's way of sneaking more Star Trek into the 52 without having to count it. If you'd like to skip, of course, you can to The Next Generation. But we highly recommend watching these movies!
We have a new format!
Let’s Talk Spoilers
- The show is so big, Jessica needed 11 sentences for her synopsis
- Ok, not much spoilers for this episode but there will be tons when we get to The Next Generation
Let’s Talk Episode
- Does Jessica love or hate the episode. She still can’t decide.
- Maybe the worst choreographed TOS fight so far.
- How evil Khan actually is.
- Film and Television Icon, Ricardo Montaban.
- Kirk did WHAT with Khan!!!???
- Seriously, what do you do with Khan? How do you deal with him? What would you have done?
- Were the writers as clever as it seems? Jury is still out.
- Why didn’t Kirk use McGivers as a spy?
Jessica's Rating for Space Seed
3 of 5 waxed latin Khan chests
Let’s Talk Trek
- Star Trek has 13 Movies (so far)
- How the un-produced TV series, Star Trek: Phase 2 became Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Wrath of Khan explores our heroes getting older
- The new movies, Andy’s shares his opinions and he’s not pulling punches
- Jessica argues for Star Trek “the way it WAS”! and Andy does the dance of joy!
Let’s Talk Next Week
We'll be closing out The Original Series with the Animated Series, so for next week, we will be watching two episodes:
Yesteryear (season 1, episode 2) and The Lorelei Signal (season 1, episode 4)
Popcorn and a movie marathon for December.
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- STII: The Wrath of Khan*
- STIII: The Search for Spock
- ST:IV: The Voyage Home
- This space intentionally left blank
- ST:VI: The Undiscovered Country*
*STII and STVI will be Bonus Episodes coming soon. Both are a great supplement to our Trek.
City on the Edge of Forever
- McCoy’s gross “sick” makeup - Over the top OR way over the top?
- Starting out with a full cast in the landing party and ending up with a Kirk/Spock episode.
- George Takei’s documentary, To Be Takei, chronicling World War II Internment Camps.
- Andy’s belief that an optimistic, Star Trek future is possible.
- Kirk is a Man of Action, forced to take no action
- The Guardian of Forever must have been the inspiration for Stargate.
- Author and Science Fiction award-winning writer, Harlan Ellison.
- Who wouldn’t fall in love with Edith Keeler?
- The incomparable Joan Collins.
- The World War II generation actually watched this episode live.
- Jessica shares her observations about the history of WWII.
- Edith kisses Kirk, not the other way around.
- Couldn’t they just bring Edith back with them? Nope.
- Andy reveals his ACTUAL FAVORITE EPISODE!
- It’s all about one moment, “Jim, Edith Keeler must die.”
4 of 5 Guardian of Forevers
Star Trek's got a lot of time travel, so if you enjoy looking at our history back in time, the suggestions are Tomorrow is Yesterday and Assignment Earth.
Next Up: Space Seed
Since eugenics was mentioned, I think the Enterprise will have to deal with an alien device or virus that creates a super powerful or super fast human.
Beginning the Trek bonus episode!
Andy and Jessica talk about extra episodes from the Original Series and wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.
Classic Star Trek!
Sexy, evil clothes are more flattering
Evil Sulu’s scar and his interest in Uhura
Evil Spock is really Regular Spock
Spock and Kirk’s relationship. Soulmates?
Mirror Universes, parallel, dimensions in sci-fi shows
Technology in the 60s. Turns out computers didn’t have voice recognition. Or keyboards.
Andy knows A LOT about original punch card style old computers. A. LOT.
Marlena Mareau as a character and love interests for Kirk
Reverse the polarity!
The disappearing machine and we have no idea what happens to Other Kirk and other others
Uhura’s shining moments
The mind meld
Kirk’s word jiu jitsu
5 of 5 Evil Spock Goatees
If you would like to see more mind melding, check out Specter of the Gun in season 3 of The Original Series. Or if you'd like to see more Kirk word jiu jitsu, The Ultimate Computer (season 2, episode 24) and Return of the Archons (season 1, episode 21).
City on the Edge of Forever
It's going to be about a meeting with a civilization right on the cusp of evolutionary change. The Enterprise is going to witness or be involved in some kind of transformation.
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield
- Just how subtle can Star Trek be
- Super powerful aliens who don't make sense
- Feels like batman from the 70s
- Art directors, producers and hollywood 101
- When you make avatars of your war
- Jessica realizing that Star Trek looking all old and 80s is actually really impressive
- The ship design
- The Trekkie community
2 of 5 Flashing Alarms
If you'd like to see racism handled a little differently, Day of the Dove might be up your alley. If you want to see more of escalating war, A Private Little War is suggested.
Pretty obvious to anyone who has ever seen any sci-fi at all that this one is going to be about alternate timelines or a parallel universe. Bring on the other us!
The Enterprise Incident
- Was the romance between Lady Romulan Commander and Mr. Spock real?
- Lady Romulan Commander's agenda (part 1)
- This episodes special effects
- Captain Kirk was the bad guy! Did you know?
- Captain Kirk's glammin' it up as a Romulan
- How naive was the Romulan Commander? 10.
- The Federation are bad guys.
- Costuming. Lots of it.
- Lady Romulan Commander's agenda (part 2)
- Captain Kirk and the dumbest Romulan guard ever.
- Are Vulcans incapable of lying? Hells. No.
- Kirk dead? Nope.
And if you're needing it, Achmed the Dead Terrorist doing Kirk threatening Spock.
4 of 5 Glittery Gold Fake Romulan Eyebrows
Things they took apart and made into a cloaking device are the inspiration for this week's suggestions: Nomad was in the Changeling and the ball is from Return to Tomorrow.
Let That be Your Last Battlefield
It's going to be about the Enterprise getting in over their heads in a war, where they lose a battle or fight and regret it.
Journey to Babel
- A check-in with Andy about this journey, and what we like and dislike and where we're going from here
- Wardrobe loves their unitards and shiny, shiny outfits
- All the alien races and extreme alien-ness
- Jessica doesn't care about whatever vote was happening that they spent time on. FOCUS Star Trek!
- Slow burn stories over full seasons and how that wasn't a thing in the 70s
- Why doesn't everyone beam? Because transporter issues, McCoy says.
- We can't forgive McCoy for not knowing Vulcan anatomy
- The transmitter is in--wait for it--the antenna.
- The Kirk fight. Impressive? Clunky? We're split on it.
- The history of the Vulcan Salute
- Exploring humanity through the eyes of Spock
- Classic family discord via Vulcan drama
- Vulcan history, emotion and yes, even prejudice
- Jessica's issues with Spock's mom
- Sarek & Romulans
- Captain Kirk grew on Jessica. Finally.
- Star Trek resolution scenes
- Warp 10 is a lot of warps!
3 of 5 Andorian Antennas
If your thing transporter issues, Andy suggests The Enemy Within. You'll also see the first time Spock does the nerve pinch.
We only get two Romulan episodes. So if you want to get introduced to the Romulans (and see the actor who plays Sarek, Spock's dad, again) before we meet them with next week's episode, watch Balance of Terror.
We meet Romulans for the first time in The Enterprise Incident.
Trouble with Tribbles
- The snappiness of the episode—it’s fun!
- Jessica’s absolute favorite moment of Star Trek so far: watching Shatner get bombarded with Tribbles!
- Spock and McCoy insulting each other and that whole relationship
- The joy of Scotty and his accent and character and starting the fight
- The bar fight
- Jessica believes the captain is in fact, a overbearing, swaggering dictator with delusions of godhood leading to Andy’s childhood hero drama
- Passionate engineers in sci-fi shows
- The scenes that drag on
- The Klingon appearance changes
- The new Star Trek show, Discovery
- Fans acceptance of canon changes over time - Kirk isn’t actually real!
- The Klingon attitudes last episode vs this episode
- Characters we'll be meeting in the future
- Nichelle Nichol's talent
- The nonsense Priority 1 for Ambassador Ninny-face
- What's the proper term for a creature that can reproduce asexually? Because that's not what bisexual means...
- Chekov's accent
5 of 5 Multiplying Tribbles
If you'd like to see more of the lighter side of Star Trek there are super fun comedic episodes we aren't going to be able to watch, but are definitely worth checking out, including Squire of Gothos. Go watch it. Highly recommended. Want even with MORE fun? Go stream A Piece of the Action.
Meeting with a whole bunches of new aliens in Journey to Babel.
It's tough getting all these aliens speaking the same language. Clearly something is going to get lost in translation in this next episode.