This one was a long one! Lots and lots for Jessica and Andy to talk about, such as:
- Spock’s skin color
- How challenging it is to accept the old technology and lack of sophistication in effects
- The new Star Trek Discovery show and how Trekkies handle every version of Star Trek that comes out
- Captain Pike is a jerk
- Changes from the pilot and TOS, how they made it more iconic in so many ways
- My opinions on Number 1, which are very strong
- The Menagerie
- My opinions on simpering, saccharine female characters (also strong)
- How I think this really would work better as a book and I agree that it’s too cerebral as a television show
- So. Many. Plot. Holes. From tech to motivation.
- Jessica’s determination to get through things she doesn’t like
- The slave girl scene
- How other shows of the time handled empowered women characters
- How Star Trek grows over time to be not so misogynistic
- The unbelievability of the show because of the culture of the 60’s (the most strong opinions)
1 of 5 Throbbing Alien Head Veins
This was a bit of an odd duck episode, so we didn't really get Andy's recommendations for The Original Series. However, he did recommend a listen of Inside Star Trek - Roddenberry's interview on YouTube.
We'll be watching Errand of Mercy next, in which we will be meeting the Klingons for the first time!